Friday 15 April 2011

Photographs as Narratives









I was really pleased to find these photos all taken from "The Family of Man." This is effectively a photogaphy book first published by New York's Museum of Modern Art in 1955 and now in its 30th edition. Apparently every one of the 503 images displayed at the museum's exhibition have been reproduced in the book and these represent the "full gamut of life from birth to death with an emphasis on daily relationships" according to the book itself. Many of the photographs I've looked at really do echo what Montaigne once said: "every man beareth the whole stamp of the human condition." Interestingly he is aptly quoted in the book; a perfect story of mankind.

1 comment:

  1. Being born in 1945 I was 10 when "Family of Man" was published. I don't remember where, but I know that I saw it at some point in my life. Great photos then and still today.

    Thanks for the nice memory.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete