Friday 22 April 2011

An Inspirational Storyteller

One Extra Word

I
I grew
I left home
I had no plans
I hunted round for meanings
I wrote and sang songs energetically
I reluctantly studied formal French and German
I taught English while picking up MadrileƱo informally
I hesitantly followed my heart back to Devon shores
I found teaching English to mixed-nationality and multicultural classes fun
I taught and acted and married and parented and taught more
I designed creative activities for fellow teachers at Isca School to use
I emerged open-eyed after the security of teaching fourteen years at one school
I banged my head against brick walls until DELTA agreed to publish Spontaneous Speaking
I kept thinking “How on earth do I support my family without a regular job?”
I have built up a freelance career storytelling, leading teacher workshops and acting alongside teaching English
I write practical pieces for magazines about student creativity in language learning, through storytelling, drama and song
I am invited all over Europe and further afield to do storytelling and storymaking workshops with English learners
I work locally with the very young and the very old, migrant worker families, young offenders and disabled people
I notice that when people are given recognition and support, there is a positive impact on their confidence, fluency and creativity
I expect to continue living in Devon with my wife, sons and my parents nearby, adapting to opportunities as they arise

Live performances on YouTube of David telling traditional tales here
David Heathfield

I've been to a number of David's workshops on storytelling and he's always worth listening too. His work continues to influence my teaching practice.

1 comment: