Sunday 23 January 2011

Laying Down One's Roots

Isn't it strange how feelings towards yourself and your environment change with age. I've been reflecting upon where I am recently. I think this has shown itself in a current interest in DIY or home improvement. Up until a few years ago I always had a rule that I would live within walking distance of a railway station, a supermarket and a bank. Feelings of wanderlust used to be very close to my heart. I expect that's why commuting never really bothered me; they were like daily journeys opening up mini adventures crossing town.  Now those things are becoming less important as I see my flat as a potential 'home' and after 10 years of living in the same city I'm finally beginning to settle in. Perhaps it's the unconscious wish to lay down one's roots and feather the nest ready for potential fatherhood. Alternatively it may be the onset of middle age although I haven't bought my Porsche or Harley Davidson as yet.  I just hope it's the former rather than the latter; only time, and hopefully a lady to share the rest of my life with, will tell I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes in finding your lifelong mate. Fatherhood is great, then you can get that Porsche or Harley (in our case a Mustang Convertible).

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Mark, it's never too late, age is just a # go for it

    ReplyDelete