Monday 31 January 2011

Deepening a sense of life

"Writing and reading decrease our sense of isolation. They deepen and widen and expand our sense of life; they feed the soul." (Anne Lamott) I came across this quotation earlier on and it seems to say so much. I'm reminded of  the words of a former English teacher from 20 years ago who once said that Fay Weldon's work "Letters to Alice" is one of the greatest justifications for reading literature so it will be a definite addition on my increasingly expanding books to read list.


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful picture. I can't speak to that much writing, but there's no question that reading has broadened my life. It started with comic books, then science fiction, and now almost anything that grabs my attention.

    Good post.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete