Thursday 10 March 2011

A World Within a Language

"In order to translate, one must know a lot of things, most of them independent of mere grammatical competence."
"Every language expresses a different world view"

When I first came across these views by Umberto Eco, I couldn't help but think that he's onto something here. I work with second or third language users of English on a daily basis and these views have confirmed my thoughts; the more that is understood about the world view or culture of the foreign language then the easier the language becomes. In other words as a former tutor  once said to me "focus on the person [and that person's world] and the language will take care of itself." 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting thought. We're exposed to both Spanish (Hispanics) and Indian (Navajo and Pueblo) and we have friends in both cultures.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete