Saturday 18 June 2011

The Films of Michael Winterbottom

One of the most versatile British directors at the moment is Michael Winterbottom. I've found many of his films compelling and often moving. Apparently he enjoys filming on location preferably outside and with a hand held camera creating a sense of immediacy as well as intimacy with his cast. For instance in his film "A Mighty Heart" through continually panning to each character's facial expressions, he is able to convey their sense of tension and fear. Similarly in "Genova" again shot on location, he expresses an almost palpable sense of  loss and rootlessness as the family members attempt to come to terms with their grief. These as well as "Code 46" and "The Claim" are my preferred films and are the ones well worth watching. Admittedly some of his work doesn't really appeal to me but the films mentioned I enjoyed, largely on the basis of their exploration of character and how people could react in such unsettling circumstances. 

The director at work:




A Mighty Heart 

 Genova 

Code 46 

The Claim 





Here's a link to an engaging overview of his work:


1 comment:

  1. Mark, you continue to broaden my horizons. I have never heard of him or his films. I'll keep an eye out to see if I can find any.

    Thanks,

    Dan

    ReplyDelete